Friday, September 6, 2013

Reading 2: Interpreting Photographs

    While the first reading was easier for me, this second reading is the one I find overwhelming. Being in art school we are constantly analyzing images. Normally, I get a natural reaction or intuition about a photograph. Then with that first reaction I look into the image more to interpret it. I never considered what kind of view I was having on a particular piece of work. I just always went with my feelings of it. Now, after looking at this reading, I'm aware that I actually can have categorized different views.
    What's overwhelming to me is that having a categorized interpretation of an image is a reflection of myself. When looking at art I am not looking at it from just a regular viewer's standpoint. I am in fact looking at it from a biased angle based on my own opinions and views. This is where the mention of significance and meaning come in. A piece of work most likely has some intention that the artist wants to relay to the viewers. This is what the artists means to show. However, each individual has a unique mind and different feelings about life in general. Therefore, each piece of work is significant to everybody potentially in a different way. I now am aware of the idea that an artist may never clearly depict a concept to their audience, solely because of unique interpretation standpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment