Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reading 4, John Berger: Ways of Seeing

      In the first video Berger mentioned something about photography that pointed its uniqueness as an art. He said that unlike a painting, a photograph can be any size and go anywhere. It is not confined to one wall and one size. This touches on the fact that you can do so much with photography. I see this as a positive quality and it made me proud to be a part of something so versatile. This was just a good opening to the series of videos for me. Something that he spoke about in the second video had me thinking. He talked about being nude and being naked. Portraying the nude in art is something that makes me think a lot about intent. I suppose it depends on the artist, but I just always wondered why it's done. I feel like some people just appreciate the figure, but other than I know there's deeper meaning. To add to my wonder of nude art, Berger mentioned that being nude makes you an object, while being naked is just for the clothed to see. I understand this as defining nude as an art form in itself, while the naked is just a person without clothes. I think this is something to thoroughly consider for artists making this kind of imagery. One of the aspects that I think about with these images is where is the line? What makes a nude art? I believe this is why I sometimes struggle with the subject and wonder if a piece of art is justified or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment