Thursday, November 14, 2013

Reading 7: Bending the Frame

            In the introduction to Bending the Frame there was questioning as to what photographers can do to bring more awareness to important issues. Though this may be an important subject to a certain audience, I felt that who I am as a photographer was being questioned. Every artist has their own motives and goals, and the introduction made me feel like what photographers do now isn’t enough. Photographers are artists, and therefore shouldn’t be pushed in a certain direction. If the goal of certain photographers is to find new ways to bring awareness to issues such as global warning then I say go for it. However, each photographer has unique ideas and therefore shouldn’t be pushed to make certain images if it’s not what they want.

After reading into the first chapter The Useful Photographer I started to feel better about the introduction. Rather than feeling criticized I felt more that photographers were getting recognition for the impact of their work. I suppose this is what the introduction was talking about, but the first chapter seemed more accepting and appreciative rather than critical. Reading farther into the writing I saw the criticism start to come back. I think the important thing to remember throughout this reading is that photography is an art. Though the reading may be referring more to photojournalism, I feel that photography needs to be regarded as more than "just pictures."

No comments:

Post a Comment