Monday, November 25, 2013

Reading 8: The Top 11 Things Photographers Wish They Learned In Photo School

      While reading this article about what photographers wish they had learned, I felt both a little relieved and a little scared. Some of the things mentioned made me feel better about myself as a photographer and reassured me that I have what it takes to make it in this competitive field. On the other hand, there's aspects of photography that I know I will need to better address later but really don't know much about. The paragraphs about where to find things to photograph and how it's about the photographer, not the equipment, made me feel some reassurance. The one part talked briefly about how one doesn't need to travel in order to make great photographs. Sometimes, I feel that I need to explore new areas in order to bring anything exciting to the table. However, I really don't need to travel. As long as I keep my mind fresh and open then I can make exciting images with what I already have around me. Along with that, I think sometimes I forget how I don't need the nicest equipment to do something great. With all the competition today, I tend to feel that I need the best lenses to be taken seriously. However, as a photographer I need to remind myself that I have the knowledge necessary to create interesting work.
      On the other hand, the parts of the article referring to photography in a business matter is what makes me nervous. I wish that school would cover these areas more because any freelance photographer needs some pricing and business knowledge. It also made me nervous where the article said starting out at low prices isn't exactly the right thing to do. As a new photographer, I don't want to put these high prices out there without the confidence of creating great images. However, I know my standards will need to be raised in order for me to get what I deserve. I just hope, as I just read, that it won't backfire on me later on.
      It was helpful to read what other photographers have to say now that they're older and deeper into their career. I feel that a lot of what I read consists of what I have already been thinking of. At least, this makes me feel that I'm not alone in my thoughts and there are others who I can relate to. I'm sure there will be even more subjects as I grow as an artist that I will be wishing that I knew earlier. However, it's all about the experience and I'm confident that I will end up where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment